You spent a lot of time and effort creating killer content. Make sure you are maximizing your investment by repurposing that work!
Some businesses will publish a blog or a social media post and leave it untouched. It’s easy to forget about all of the great content already produced.
However, one of the BEST ways to create value out of old content is to repurpose it. It’s time to dust off those old articles, checklists, white papers, infographics, and blog posts, and get ready to learn about some new ways to save time and reach a wider audience by repurposing your content.
Why should you repurpose content?
The first thing to consider when thinking about repurposing old content is the why. The key is to display content well, reuse it, and have it catch the eyes of viewers. Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads. It’s cost-effective, useful, and easy. But those aren’t the only reasons why it should be included in your marketing strategy. Let’s dive into two other reasons why it’s important to repurpose content.
1. It Saves Time and Energy
It takes a lot of energy and work to generate good quality content on a consistent basis. By finding ways to utilize old content through new ideas, there is less pressure to create new resources for your audience. Finding information, statistics, quotes, etc. can take up a significant amount of time during the workweek. Drawing from past content can lessen the time spent and can allow you to focus on other projects as well.
2. You Can Reach a New Audience
One of the most important benefits of repurposing old content is being able to reach a new audience. It’s easy to miss out on potential groups of people if your content is only displayed one way.
For example, if you are just publishing blogs, why not turn one into a podcast or a video? Doing this will allow you to target a completely different target audience that could generate leads into customers. There are a lot of inexpensive transcription programs that can take a video, podcast, or webinar and give you the text, making it easier to write a blog.
As your company grows, you will most likely receive more followers and subscribers. Another way of reaching a new audience is by reposting the content you had previously posted. Perhaps a blog post written years ago didn’t do as well or create many clicks. Repurposing that blog today could be more successful now that you have a bigger audience.
Now that you understand the reasons why repurposing content is a great marketing strategy, let’s move into some ideas on how to repurpose your old content.
Ideas on How to Repurpose Old Content
The possibilities are endless when it comes to repurposing old content. No matter what resources you use, there are plenty of ways to recycle and create even more value out of the content. Below are just some of the many ways you can do this.
- Use blog or podcast titles as Tweets
- Utilizing statistics and headlines to generate more tweets is a great way to repurpose content. These tweets can be linked back to old blogs, your website, or further research. The more tweets, the more clicks!
- Re-promote and update old blogs
- Has it been a while since you talked about a certain topic? Perhaps take a look back at an old blog, see what has changed since then, and edit! By taking old blogs and giving them an update, they become more relevant to your readers. Important note: Be transparent about the fact that you update the content. It shows your audience that you are staying on top of trends and have a commitment to continuous learning. This also allows you to promote more content without spending time making completely new content.
- Turn a blog or an article into a short video
- Videos are one of the most popular ways viewers can engage with content. By taking old content and repurposing it into a video, you’re eligible to engage with a whole new audience. Videos can be posted on all kinds of platforms and devices, further widening your audience. Check out this free resource that uses AI to turn your blog posts into videos!
- Create quarterly or yearly content rewinds
- Go back and take a look at your most popular and successful content. Gather them up and insert them into one big article! This allows viewers to see all of your popular content at once and provides the ability to reach more people than before.
- Turn blog posts and webinars into podcasts
- Similar to short videos, podcasts are one of the largest up-and-coming ways to engage your audience. There were an estimated 120 million podcast listeners in the United States in 2021. Forecasts suggest that the number of podcast listeners will surpass 160 million in 2023 after increases of around 20 million each year (Statista). Turning your content into a podcast allows viewers and listeners to utilize their time better, while providing your audience with more ways to engage with your content.
- Use blog graphics as social media posts
- Designing infographics from past content and repurposing them is a sure way to garner a new audience and generate further content. You could even post your images on Pinterest or Instagram for an even greater reach!
The Bottom Line
There’s really no downside to repurposing old content. Remember, you don’t always have to create new content. Find the quality and relevant content you’ve utilized in the past, and recycle! It’s really that simple.
Need help? Curious about how to implement these techniques into your B2B marketing strategy? Reach out to us here at 1 Bold Step and we’d be more than happy to help.
For more marketing tips, be sure to subscribe to our blog.